Welcome from Tom Broekel

Welcome from Tom Broekel

von Tom Brökel -
Anzahl Antworten: 0

Dear students,

A warm welcome to this BISS course, Introduction to the Geography of Innovation, from my side as well. I am a professor of regional innovation at the University of Stavanger Business School (Norway). Ever since my master's degree (Jena, Germany), I've been curious about why some places prosper and others, seemingly similar, fail in realizing economic growth. Research shows that differences in places' abilities to create and utilize innovation are the root causes for such differences. Hence, the answer to the question above is another question: why do some places innovate and others don't? I am excited to introduce you to the fascinating research that provides a range of answers to this question and to give policy recommendations during this course. The course will cover aspects I have been working on for the last 15 years of my academic career. Hence, the course will also give you insights into my own development as a researcher (don't worry, I will try to keep situations of "let me tell you a personal story ..." and appraisals of my own work to a minimum).

Next week, I will provide an updated course program, including some group work, which you should work on in preparation for the course. Please check moodle frequently. 

In any case, I look forward to meeting you in person and creating a learning experience (jointly with you) that will compensate for us missing out on many hours of sunshine.

Tom Broekel